It’s time for March’s Comic Roundup! Optimus Prime versus the Terminator, IDW asks who you got in their latest crossover. Detective Spider-Man is on the case in Spider-Man Noir. Will Batman die a villain or be the hero Gotham needs one last time – the finale to Batman: Curse of the White Knight!
KING OF NOWHERE #1
Eisner Award-nominated writer W. Maxwell Prince (Ice Cream Man) comes to BOOM! Studios with Eisner-nominated artist Tyler Jenkins (Grass Kings, Black Badge) for an unforgettable thriller that explores the miraculous, the mundane, and all the mysteries in between.
Lovable drunken lowlife Denis awakens on the outskirts of a mysterious village called Nowhere, home to a friendly populace of deformed, mutated, just-left-of-normal citizens-and he has no memory of how he got there.
But just when Denis starts to regain his memories, his past catches up to him… literally. What at first seems like merely a bad trip quickly heightens into a drama of mistaken identities, small-town conspiracy, and high-stakes fantasy fulfillment.
There are many assassins in the known universe. This is the story of the most well-mannered one.“Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what knife you use.”
TRANSFORMERS VS. TERMINATOR #1
It’s Skynet vs. Cybertron in a crossover for the ages! 1984: When a deadly race of machines emerge from another time, will a robotic guardian be able to protect the Earth from a dire future… or will the T-800 fail in his mission to prevent the world from becoming a plaything to the Decepticons?
Other Indie HOT / KEY releases:
- ARGUS #1
- ARTEMIS & ASSASSIN #1
- ICE CREAM MAN#19 – Variant cover art by Gabriel Walta
- JOIN THE FUTURE #1
- KILLING RED SONJA #1
- KYRRA #1
- MERCY #1
- MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS / TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #4
- NO ONE’S ROSE #1
- NORTH BEND #1
- OUTER DARKNESS / CHEW #1 – Three-issue crossover series that sends Tony Chu, a detective who receives psychic impressions from what he eats, into a space-faring adventure with a 28th-century starship captain
- SPAWN #306 – Origin of Ninja Spawn, Variant cover art by Francesca Mattina
- STARSHIP DOWN #1
- STEALTH #1
- SWEET HEART #1
- THE FUHRER AND THE TRAMP #1 – Five-issue Eisner-nominated story loosely inspired by Charlie Chaplin’s satirical film, ‘The Great Dictator,’ Initially released as a digital comic in May 2019.
- X-O MANOWAR #1 – Premiere issue of the fifth X-O Manowar series
- X-RAY ROBOT #1 – Four-issue series about a robot from the far future who visits his human self in the past to wage war against an evil known as the ‘Nihilist’
SPIDER-MAN NOIR #1
MURDER AND MYSTERY IN THE MIGHTY MARVEL MANNER! DATELINE, 1939!
As the specter of war looms on the horizon, SPIDER-MAN: NOIR fights the good fight at home, stopping the injustices of a more friendly-neighborhood variety. But after a dame is murdered at The Black Cat nightclub and all clues point overseas, Spidey will have no choice but to board the next flight to Europe and kick off a globetrotting adventure through yesteryear of the Marvel Universe!
THE DAWN OF REBELLION! Cable was a grizzled old veteran of the wars to save the future…and he will be again. But for now, he’s a young mutant living in paradise leading a life of adventure! Nathan Summers, son of two of the most powerful mutants on Krakoa, has a destiny leading the youth of mutantkind in rebellion…so why not start now? GERRY DUGGAN (MARAUDERS, DEADPOOL) and PHIL NOTO (STAR WARS, POE DAMERON) bring us young Cable as we’ve never seen him before!
STAR WARS: BOUNTY HUNTERS #1
While the battle between the Rebellion and the Empire raged in the stars, the darker corners of the Star Wars universe belonged to the bounty hunters,” Sacks tells StarWars.com. “And that’s always been a facet of the saga that’s fascinated me ever since I first witnessed that glorious murderers’ row take a bounty from Darth Vader aboard the Executor in a theater as a seven-year-old in 1980. I’m channeling that wonder from The Empire Strikes Back and beyond in Bounty Hunters, which will be a high-octane action romp through the Star Wars underworld of Hutts and Fetts.
Other Marvel HOT / KEY releases:
- BLACK PANTHER AGENTS OF WAKANDA #7 – 1st team appearance of the Legion of Foom
- CAPTAIN MARVEL #16 – Battle of Captain Marvel versus Vox Supreme, Variant cover art by BossLogic celebrating the 150th issue of Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel.
- FANTASTIC FOUR #20 – 1st appearance of an Elder of the Universe
- GHOST SPIDER #8 – Return of Gwenom
- GIANT-SIZE X-MEN: NIGHTCRAWLER #1
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #3 – 1st team appearance of the West Spiral Arm Guardians, Cover appearance of Blackjack O’Hare.
- GWEN STACY #2 VARIANT – Variant cover art by JeeHyung Lee
- HELLIONS #1 – 1st team appearance of the Hellions: Mister Sinister, Scalphunter, Wild Child, Empath, Nanny, Oprhanmaker, Psylocke, Havok
- IMMORTAL HULK #33 – 1st appearance of the Thoughtful Man, Anniversary of ‘The Incredible Hulk’ 750th issue
- MAGNIFICENT MS. MARVEL #13 – 1st appearance of Amulet, a magical Arab-American superhero
- MARVEL #1 – Six-issue limited series that presents the Marvels story by Alex Ross and Kurt Busiek as its original concept by Alex Ross.
- MARVEL AVENGERS: BLACK WIDOW (GAMERVERSE) #1 – Prequel to the upcoming video game
- MARVEL AVENGERS: CAPTAIN AMERICA (GAMERVERSE) #1 – Prequel to the upcoming video game
- MARVEL TALES: SILVER SURFER (GAMERVERSE) #1 – Prequel to the upcoming video game
- OUTLAWED #1 – Tie-in to the Incoming one-shot with consequences that effect the younger generation of heroes
- RESCUE #1 – Iron Man 2020 tie-in
- ROAD TO EMPYRE: THE KREE/SKRULL WAR #1 – One-shot origin of the Kree/Skrull War, as told by the Skrull family, The Warners, Lead-in to Empyre crossover event.
- SPIDER-WOMAN #1 – Premiere issue of the seventh Spider-Woman series. 1st appearance of the daughter of Otto Vermis. Variant cover art by Peach Momoko (1:25)
- STAR WARS: THE RISE OF KYLO REN #4 – Origin of Ben Solo, Variant cover art by Giuseppe Camuncoli (1:25)
- STRANGE ACADEMY #1 – 1st appearance of Emily Bright, a girl who has been aware of her magical powers since birth, 1st appearance of Doyle Dormammu, the illegitimate son of Dormammu, Variant cover art by Peach Momoko
- THOR #4 – 1st appearance of the Black Winter. Variant cover art by Ryan Stegman (1:25)
- WOLVERINE #2 – 1st appearance of the Pale Girl
STRANGE ADVENTURES #1
After winning five Eisner Awards and topping year-end “best of lists,” the comic book of 2019 was Mister Miracle. The comic book of 2020 will be Strange Adventures.
The Mister Miracle team of writer Tom King and artist Mitch Gerads are joined by fan-favorite artist Evan “Doc” Shaner to bring you an epic tale in the tradition of Watchmen, The Dark Knight Returns, and DC: The New Frontier—a story of blood, war, and love that readers will be talking about for years to come.
Adam Strange is the hero of Rann, a man famous throughout the galaxy for his bravery and honor. After leading his adopted home to victory in a great planetary war, Adam and his wife Alanna retire to Earth, where they are greeted by cheers, awards, and parades. But not all is as happy and nice as it seems, as the decisions Adam made during battles on Rann come back to haunt his family and threaten the entire DC Universe. And now a surprise DC hero will have to choose between saving Adam Strange and saving the world.
A story like no other, Strange Adventures is an ambitious, thrilling, shocking, and beautiful 12-issue saga that will push Adam Strange to the breaking point—and beyond!.
ROBIN 80TH ANNIVERSARY 100-PAGE SUPER SPECTACULAR #1
DC Comics celebrates Robin the Boy Wonder’s 80th anniversary in style with an all-star creative team representing each iteration of the iconic character across eight decades of history! From the high-flying adventures of Dick Grayson to the tragedy of Jason Todd, the enthusiasm of Tim Drake and the arrogance of Damian Wayne, the persistence of Stephanie Brown and the rebelliousness of Carrie Kelley—the mantle of Robin has been worn by many, but always represents one thing: a hero.
BATMAN: CURSE OF THE WHITE KNIGHT #8
Witness the final battle of the two Bats in this conclusion to the second installment of the White Knight saga! After learning the truth about his name and fortune, Bruce Wayne has made a shocking public announcement in pursuit of redemption – but before he can secure Gotham’s future and prosperity once and for all, he must protect the city in one last brutal showdown with Azrael. With Batman devastated by his shattered identity and with little left to lose, there may be nothing left to stop him from abandoning his code and resorting to one unthinkable desperate measure.
Other DC HOT / KEY releases:
- BATMAN #90 – 1st appearance of The Designer. Variant cover art by Francesco Mattina
- BATGIRL #45 – Possible cameo of a new villain: did something follow Jason Bard as he exited the portal?
- BIRDS OF PREY (2020) #1 – One-shot published under the prestige format Black Label, 1st team appearance of an all-new opponent.
- CATWOMAN #21 VARIANT – Variant cover art by Ian MacDonald
- JUSTICE LEAGUE: ODYSSEY #19
- SUICIDE SQUAD #4 – Variant cover art by Jeremy Roberts
- YOUNG JUSTICE #14 – Team-up or battle of Young Justice and Aqualad, Arrowette, Sideways and Spoiler
With the major news that Dan Didio has left DC Comics many fans are wondering what impact this could have. Jim Lee at C2E2 this weekend put the hush on those rumors of a Marvel buyout. Other news from the weekend included the announcement that Ice Cream Man is being adapted on the mobile video platform Quibi, which features short-form episodes uploaded daily. Donny Cates teased fans about upcoming characters appearing in his Thor run including Throg and the ravens. Jonathan Hickman teased that Moira McTaggart will be back after being absent since she blew readers’ minds in House of X #2.
View previous week roundups, news, and reviews at the comics landing page, or jump into the Mulehorn Gaming Discord – #comics_collectibles anytime to talk comics! See you next week same Bat-time, same Bat-channel!
All images courtesy of leagueofcomicgeeks.com