Marvel unleashes the Dawn of X, gets nostalgic, and finds a way to bring MCU news from SDCC to its books! The White Knight gets a sequel. Earth is in ruins…corruption…infection…the world needs a dancing Weatherman to help save it?
House of X #1
FACE THE FUTURE. Superstar writer Jonathan Hickman (SECRET WARS, AVENGERS, FANTASTIC FOUR) takes the reins of the X-Men universe! The X-Men have a deep history and dedicated fan base that in recent years have wanted more for their beloved mutants. At San Diego Comic-Con, Marvel gave us a glimpse into what the next era of the X-Men will be with Dawn of X, this is going to be a massive event! House of X will have 14+ cover variants which makes it tough to pick just one! Pictured above is the Magneto action figure variant from Tyler Christopher. Powers of X #1 drops next week too! Check out the Dawn of X reveal to see what Marvel shared at SDCC.
Other Marvel releases
- Valkyrie #1 – JANE FOSTER STARS IN AN ALL-NEW NEW ONGOING SERIES! For years, you knew her as Dr. Jane Foster, one of Thor’s most steadfast companions. Then you knew her as Thor, the Goddess of Thunder, who took up the mantle when no other hero-god or human – was worthy. Now Jane takes on a new role as Valkyrie, guide, and ferrywoman to the dead! Nice variants are available for this title! This new series is hot off Marvel’s announcement SDCC of Thor: Love and Thunder, which will feature the MCUs Natalie Portman as Foster taking the mantle of Thor and wielding Mjolnir!
- History of the Marvel Universe #1 – Everything you ever wanted to know about the Marvel Universe — in one lavishly illustrated series! From the Big Bang to the twilight of existence, HISTORY OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE chronicles everything that was or will be! Revealing previously unknown secrets and serving as the ultimate reference book for Marvel fans! Don’t forget to peak at the variants on this one. There are two other Marvel history books this week with Marvels Epilogue #1 focusing on X-Men tales from the 1970s, and Marvel Tales: Hulk #1 focusing on two classic Hulk storylines from the late 1960s.
- Web of Venom: Funeral Pyre #1 – For weeks, the serial killer called Carnage has been hunting former symbiote hosts and killing them. Next on his list is ANDI BENTON, formerly MANIA, who’s back to living in Philadelphia and without any symbiote to save her. The path of bodies that leads to ABSOLUTE CARNAGE continues here! A creepy but cool variant that you may want to pick up from artist Clayton Crain.
Batman: Curse of the White Knight #1
There is no shortage of Batman stories coming from DC. This week we get the sequel to the critically acclaimed blockbuster Batman: White Knight from writer/artist Sean Murphy. Batman: White Knight is another example of what ultimately drives great Batman story-telling. Complex characters who are developed through strong writing. The original story follows the Joker regaining his sanity and rising to become a hero through the public office, while Batman in his aggressive pursuit of justice begins to toe the line of a villain. Murphy’s gritty artwork can be appreciated and is reminiscent of the styling of Batman: The Animated Series. Murphy’s follow up picks up with the Joker recruiting Azrael to help him expose skeletons from the Wayne family closet. What secrets will be revealed, and how will they change the Dark Knight forever?
Other DC Releases
- The Flash #75 – “The Flash Year One” finale! This oversize anniversary issue marks the end of Barry Allen’s journey to become the Flash—but at what cost? The Turtle’s final play will challenge our hero in every way possible, and by the end of the battle, a Flash will be born—and a Flash will die! Also in this issue, witness Lex Luthor’s offer to Captain Cold, whose icy vengeance waits for the Flash just around the corner…don’t miss the chilly Captain Cold variant!
- Freedom Fighters #7 – Beaten but not broken after a deadly battle with Cyborg Overman, the Freedom Fighters are on the run once more. But who will take these fugitives from the Gestapo in? The American people, that’s who. The citizens of Nazi-occupied America are beginning to believe that resistance is possible and that the dream of freedom can be reborn anew, thanks to the efforts of Uncle Sam’s crew. And Sam’s got a plan in place to take back the country that fascism stole, starting at the very top…
- Martian Manhunter #7 – J’onn and Diane have had a break in the Ashley Addams case! With a fully armed S.W.A.T. team, they head to a pig farm an infamous human-trafficking cartel calls home. They’ll lead a raid to find out the truth about what happened to Ashley, and J’onn will be forced to use the full spectrum of his Martian abilities on Earth for the first time! Another DC character spotlight variant cover featuring the green martian!
The Weatherman Vol. 2 #2
The first issue of The Weatherman Vol. 2 dropped last month and has already sparked some interest with new and core audiences, with its sci-fi premise set in a future that feels familiar and features a flawed protagonist, Nathan Cross. The Weatherman Vol. 1 was a 6 issue run in the back half of 2018 and this story picks up directly where that one left off. If you enjoy your science fiction bloody, violent, and a little strange you will want to spend some time in the world Jody Leheup and Nathan Fox have created.
Other Indie Releases
- Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #41 – NECESSARY EVIL, the Power Rangers comic book event of 2019, continues here! You think you know everything about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers – but this issue answers one of the biggest questions in franchise history with revelations that will shake the team to their core. The White Ranger maybe their new leader…but who is the new enemy of the Power Rangers? As of late seeing some awesome variants each issue and this week is no exception!
- Aliens: Rescue #1 – Following the events of Aliens: Resistance, Alec Brand, the colonist rescued by Amanda Ripley and Zula Hendricks, has grown up into an elite Colonial Marine. A secret mission brings him back to the alien-infested moon where he was rescued… and face to face with the past. Written by Brian Wood of Aliens: Defiance and Aliens: Resistance. Find out the fate of Amanda Ripley after Aliens: Resistance. Zula Hendricks and Alec Brand return! There is a variant available for the hardcore fans out there.
- Archie Vs. Predator II #1 – Betty, Veronica, and Predator-Archie have been left in the wreckage of their town, all their friends dead. It isn’t until they find an undamaged car and drive it down a different road where they can finally return to Riverdale-but their hometown feels different. And it’s made even more bizarre when they come face-to-face with a few people they’d never expect: themselves. Only different, newer versions. Little do they know, Predators on Mars are watching them-planning their next attack. Really fun variants on this title that are worth checking out even if you don’t pick them up!
Another strong showing this year for Marvel at SDCC. Both Dawn of X and Absolute Carnage have the comic world buzzing with anticipation. Marvel also dropped the Phase 4 and beyond MCU plans about new Thor, Blade, Fantastic Four and X-Men projects being developed. For DC, the shoulders of one caped crusader and some of the talented writing in the DC Black Label books continue to carry things through a somewhat quiet Comic-Con.
View previous week roundups, news, and reviews at the comics landing page, or jump into the Mulehorn Gaming Discord – #comics_collectibles anytime to talk comics! See you next week same Bat-time, same Bat-channel!