Comic-Con San Diego is upon us… meanwhile, others will be surfing through the cosmos! Can the man who broke Bruce Wayne once, do it again? The sexiest vampire of all time is turning 50!
In July 1969, the world was first introduced to Vampirella. 50 years later, she doesn’t look a day older! Now, to celebrate her gold anniversary, Dynamite is launching a brand-new, ongoing series featuring the talents of Christopher Priest (Black Panther, Deathstroke, Quantum & Woody, Justice League) and European star/American star-in-the-making, Ergun Gunduz (Tales of the Great War, Taxi Tales)! Coinciding with the relaunch of Vampirella, Dynamite is also releasing Vampirella Replica Edition #1 and Vampirella Blank Comic Book #1 this week to feed your thirst for all things vampy! Featuring 42+ variant covers from the likes of Gabrielle Dell’Otto, Tim Sale, Mike Mayhew, and J. Scott Compbell (featured above) to name a few, everyone on board to celebrate Vampirella in all her beauty!
Other Indie Releases
- Faithless #4 – Faith falls deeper into Poppy and Louis’s mysterious world, which has dire consequences for her closest friends. Featuring the writing talents of Brian Azzarello and styled by Maria Llovet’s artwork the book is a mashup of erotica, magic, and taboo topics.
- Gideon Falls #15 – “THE MISPLACED MAN” Back in modern Gideon Falls, Father Fred and Angie continue to look for clues about the mysterious Norton, and a dark mystery from Father Fred’s past is revealed. HOLLYWOOD NEWS Gideon Falls has just been picked up for TV by Hivemind!
- Blade Runner 2019 #1 – In the neo-noir city of Los Angeles, 2019, Ash, a veteran Blade Runner, is grappling with a new case: a billionaire’s wife and child, apparently kidnapped by Replicants for dark purposes… An all-new ongoing comic series from the pen of Academy Award-nominated screenwriter Michael Green (Blade Runner 2049, Logan, American Gods), with longtime co-writer Mike Johnson (Batman/Superman, Supergirl, Star Trek), illustrated by Andres Guinaldo (Justice League Dark, Captain America). The first comic to tell original, in-canon stories set in the Blade Runner universe!
Silver Surfer: Black #2
Writer Donny Cates reunites with artist Tradd Moore for a very trippy ride in Silver Surfer: Black. This story ties into Guardians of the Galaxy #6 and #7, and Thanos #3 so be sure to pick those if you want to the expanded version of this tale of the cosmos. This is a 5 book mini-series and naturally, there are some nice variant covers to choose from. Marooned across the cosmos! The Surfer will have to risk everything, to beat back the void that threatens to swallow the galaxy whole…including his very soul! Cates is having a great run for Marvel these days, as his work with Venom (also with Tradd Moore) and Guardians of the Galaxy are two of the hottest and well-received books out right now. Even more exciting, Cates will be writing the highly-anticipated Absolute Carnage title that continues to generate buzz.
Other Marvel Releases
- The Immortal Hulk #21 – As the smoke from the last issue clears, General Fortean makes a fateful decision. There can be no more half measures. No weapon is off the table. Force must be met with equal force. This is a war without rules…and SHADOW BASE is going to win. Eisner Award Nominee for Best Continuing Series! A super fun variant featuring the Merc with a mouth Deadpool!
- The Punisher Annual #1 – PUNISHER VS. BROOD QUEEN! The man who lives to punish the foulest parasites of humanity. The most monstrous parasite in the galaxy. Zero gravity. Zero &$%# given. It’s the PUNISHER versus a BROOD QUEEN like you’ve never seen before, because this time, Earth’s own Frank Castle’s got a rocket. Who put Castle in the cockpit, and how will he and his muckraking stowaway – J. JONAH JAMESON tolerate each other long enough to survive? Only Karla Pacheco (Rick and Morty) and Adam Gorham (NEW MUTANTS: DEAD SOULS, ROCKET, The Violent) have the answers you NEED!
- Daredevil #8 – With Daredevil still missing, his shadow looms large over Hell’s Kitchen…and ordinary citizens are starting to feel his absence. Detective Cole North may think he’s stopped Daredevil, but there are bigger problems coming his way! Check out the Symbiote variant cover on this one!
Last week we had a showdown between Thomas and Bruce Wayne that left Bruce stranded in the desert. Batman is nowhere to be found. At least not the Batman anyone knows. It’s like someone has replaced the real Gotham City with a twisted funhouse-mirror version of it. This week Tom King’s epic Batman brings us an extra-sized issue that gives us the beginning to “City of Bane!” This will be a new multi-part storyline that ties together all the thread of the first 74 issues of King’s run. Based on the cover alone, you can see that the man who has broken the bat, Bane, has amassed a gallery of Gotham’s villains in his latest scheme which fits DC’s “Year of the Villain.” Another character feature variant from DC to look out for to add to your variant collection also available in foil!
Other DC Releases
- Superman’s Pal, Jimmy Olsen #1 – Jimmy Olsen must die! Wait, we’re getting ahead of ourselves. Jimmy Olsen lives! Superman’s best friend and Daily Planet photographer Jimmy Olsen tours the bizarre underbelly of the DC Universe in this new miniseries featuring death, destruction, giant turtles and more! It’s a centuries-spanning whirlwind of weird that starts in Metropolis and ends in Gotham City. And then we kill Jimmy.
- Aquaman #50 – As Aquaman settles the Old Gods of Unspoken Water into their new lives in Amnesty Bay, Jackson Hyde, a.k.a. Aqua-lad seeks out Aquaman to be his new mentor! Back in Atlantis, Mera makes a move that shocks the Widowhood. Meanwhile, Black Manta, recently kicked out of the Legion of Doom, prepares to make his next move against his greatest nemesis…but Lex Luthor is about to make him an offer he can’t refuse. Don’t miss the landmark 50th issue and the start of a brand-new story! Grab the sweet Black Manta variant cover too.
- Pearl #11 – After a blazing adventure in Kobe, Japan, this modern-day yakuza crime epic wrapped around a romance for the ages from the award-winning creators of Jessica Jones comes back home. Tattoo artist/assassin/yakuza clan leader Pearl Tanaka has confronted her heritage on the same mean streets where her grandmother was born. Now she comes home to find her place in the new order. This issue is another explosive, cliché-defying multimedia extravaganza from artist Michael Gaydos, as PEARL continues its unique exploration of art and self-expression in a way only comics can.
Spotlights from this week are already making noise. Tons of tie-in reading to be done as some of the biggest storylines from this year continue to crossover into multiple books. With San Diego Comic-Con going off this week, we can expect some news and updates to all things comics on the horizon. Do yourself a favor, jump in the Mulehorn Gaming Discord (#comics_collectibles) to find news, reading lists, and a comic community sharing our love for comics. See you next week same Bat-time, same Bat-channel!