Hello fellow Operators. The holiday weekend is almost upon us. Let me first remind everyone to be sure to take time on Memorial Day to reflect upon the sacrifices of those who have fallen in battle to protect this country, making the ultimate sacrifice. Military servicemen and women continue to answer the call to protect the freedoms and prosperity that we often take for granted. That should never be overlooked or taken for granted. Thank you for your service.
Free Access Weekend
First up. What better way to relax from a Memorial Day BBQ than by playing some Call of Duty: Black Ops: Cold War Multiplayer and Outbreak with your pals? Don’t own the game? No worries! Yesterday kicked off a free weekend event that runs from May 27th through June 1st! Let’s go! I’m loving the Die Hardpoint limited event tied to the 80’s Action Heroes event. Check it out!
The 80’s Action Heroes Event continues across Black Ops Cold War and Warzone. This even has been quite fun! I believe that my favorite modes so far are Power Grab and Die Hardpoint. Power Grab is available in Warzone and it consists of eliminating other operators and collecting dog tags to collect legendary loot through heavy drops. The game omits the Gulag for respawn tokens. The current Gulag is not my cup of tea. So it is refreshing to be able to play a new mode that does not feature it. These respawn tokens are earned by collecting tags. The game mode also features an exfil opportunity in the final circle. This circle creeps in slowly. It is very tempting to push the extraction zone but be sure to have the cover or covering fire from your teammates. Many operators opt to hang back and go for the elimination win. My wife’s favorite strategy is to go for the exfil by going prone amongst other eliminated operators while we try to eliminate anyone who would try to push to secure it. It seems to work out quite well despite the fact that the final hud displays a count down to extraction that is viewable to all the operators.
Die Hardpoint is a literal blast! This mode features a combined version of Cranked and Hardpoint. once you kill someone the counter starts ticking. Either earn another kill to reset the timer or contest or capture the zone to stop it. If not, then boom. The explosions are quite gnarly. This is the one game mode that has kept me playing multiplayer. Also, ask you to achieve eliminations you become more powerful by earning buffs. This has been my favorite game mode by far.
- Die Hardpoint [NEW]
- Die Hardpoint added to Featured Playlists.
- Capture Hardpoints to gain points for your team. Eliminate multiple enemies in the same life to earn up to five powerful buffs throughout the match.
- Capturing a Hardpoint grants a movement speed boost and sets your timer to 30 seconds. When the timer reaches zero, you explode. Extend the timer by earning eliminations and capturing Hardpoints.
- The timer is paused while on your team’s Hardpoint, and kills add 15 seconds to your timer up to a max of 30 seconds.
- Successive kills grant up to four additional buffs: improved weapon handling, ADS speed, slide speed, and a larger explosion upon death (granted after a five-kill streak.)
- The first team to reach 200 points, or the most points before time expires, wins.
Weekly Playlist Update
This week’s Warzone playlist update has removed Plunder – Quads and Rebirth Island – Resurgence Trios. Plunder – Trios has been added along with Rebirth Island – Resurgence Quads. I’m glad Verdansk – Power Grab, the LTM associated with the 80’s Action Heroes event is getting so much positive feedback. To be honest, I hope that this mode does not expire with the event. It’s just too good to not bring it back from time to time.
The most recent weapon balancing dropped on Thursday. I’m excited to see Raven Software focus so much on weapon balancing and testing. There is most likely always going to be a meta in a live game like this. However, Warzone actually feels like it has never been in a better place. Think back to how powerful the DMR-14 was over the holidays. If you were playing Verdansk without a DRM-14 then you were already handicapped. There are definitely some guns out there with a low TTK, but it is exciting to see Raven Software address these and attempt to make each weapon perform well in various situations to encourage different styles of play.
In this week’s patch, the most mentionable changes are those that affect the CR-56 AMAX, FARA 83, the Tactical Rifle Charlie, and the LW3 Tundra. The CR-56 AMAX has been a favorite in the Warzone with the launch of Chapter 3. This gun has received a slight reduction on the headshot multiplier. It was communicated that the gun was just way too dominant in the long-range Assault Rifle space. I really like the approach that the developer is utilizing. Rather than buffing all other weapons to meet the outliers that are pulling the outliers back to allow for the more underwhelming weapons to become viable.
The FARA 83 has had its recoil pattern adjusted to make the gun more stable to make the gun more lethal at range. To compensate for this the hip fire spread has broadened to make the gun less viable at close range. This will make the gun less effective in close quarters engagements but performed well in those mid-range engagements in Verdansk. The developers communicate that they are not quite satisfied with the identity of the FARA 83, but they feel comfortable in smoothing out its recoil and pushing it in the long-range assault rifle class.
Similarly, the Tactical Rifle Charlie has had its record magnitude decreased. It is encouraging to see the developer admit that the weapon was overly nerfed. I have enjoyed using this weapon but it has not felt powerful for some time. I am looking forward to trying out the weapon again over the weekend. The LW3 Tundra sniper has been made more viable by decreasing the recoil of the weapon and the fisheye effect in the lens has been slightly reduced as well.
Ride or Die
The spawn rate of the cargo truck has been reduced. The vehicle is intentionally strong. It is so strong that in solos, the vehicle tends to persist on the map because players do not want to commit to using the amount of ammo or equipment that it takes to eliminate them. This results in the vehicles being around in the later circles of the game. The developer wants to control the instances of the cargo truck being used as a crutch to stay out of those late-game gunfights and final circles.
Additional Bug Fixes
- Fixed additional map locations in Verdansk that allowed players to reach out-of-bounds areas.
- Fixed additional collision issues with various elements across Verdansk allowing players to exploit/peek/shoot through them.
- Fixed a bug where vehicles could down or kill squadmates.
- Fixed an issue in Nakatomi Plaza where the vault access denied audio could be heard throughout the entire building.
- Because we can’t trust you to realize that once access has been denied, you should walk away from the button and not try again… and over again… and over again.
- Fixed a bug preventing the Ballistic Knife Camouflage skins from unlocking upon completing their respective requirements.
- Fixed a bug where the Swat 5mw Laser Sight for Sniper Rifles was not displaying Aiming Stability as a pro.
- Fixed the incorrect labeling of Sniper Rifle Echo as Sniper Rifle Delta.
I hope that you’ve enjoyed this update from MHG. What are your favorite game modes currently? Sound off in the comments. If you would like to discuss weapon loadouts, game modes, strategies, or just laugh at my epic fails in the Warzone, all live, then follow me on Twitch. Follow me on Twitter for all my general musings on life and video games. Have fun. Stay Safe. Happy Memorial Day.