Epic Games announced that on September 26, 2017, Fortnite will release its PVP Battle Royale mode free for all players on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC and macOS.
Fortnite’s Battle Royale mode will pit 100 players against each other in a battle to be the last one alive. The game’s unique building skills and destructible environments will still be in this mode and it will be free for anyone. The update will also include the following changes:
- Squads will be introduced into the game
- The game’s PVE campaign (Save the World) will continue to be in Early Access and only accessible by those who paid for the game, but it will include new updates. One update is the previously announced “Block Party” mode as well as content centered around Halloween.
Can Fortnite Compete with PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds?
This free update comes just before the launch of PlayerUnkown’s Battlegrounds on Xbox One (rumored to be in late October) and looks to whet the appetite of players waiting for it to release. These Battle Royale games seem to be picking up steam for PC gamers (PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds recently had the most simultaneous users of any game on Steam) and Epic games will be trying to capitalize on this. What makes Fortnite stand out is the ability to build structures and create traps for other players. It will be interesting to watch the console population for this game as it progresses.
Fortnite has definitely piqued my interest and I will be checking it out when it launches later this month. What are your thoughts on this? Will it complete with PlayerUnknown’s Battleground? Or will it be overshadowed by it when it releases on Xbox One? Sound off in the comments.
The Battle Royale mode will be available through the Epic Games PC launcher and the Xbox/PS4 stores.
Latest posts by Nate Johns (see all)
- Rockstar Announces The Doomsday Heist – A New Heist for GTA Online - December 7, 2017
- PlayStation Plus Games for December 2017 - November 29, 2017
- Xbox Live Games with Gold December 2017 - November 26, 2017